Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ella Jenkins

Sunday we were downtown with Grandpa and his wife Elyse. Maddy went for a long walk (aka ride in the stroller) with them while Marc and I zipped down to the Merchandise Mart to see an art exhibit. One of Marc's fellow teachers had some work on display with a gallery at the exhibit. We wandered around looking at art and some "art." There is always something to make you wonder why it is art, and how can I get my "art" up there for sale at $15,000 a pop. My personal favorite was a portrait of Obama done with a hand written version of a speech. The handwriting varied in line thickness and spacing to form the lines in the face. When you step up close you see the words, when you step back you see Obama. It was beautiful. There was one done in each red, white and blue. $4,000 each. We didn't buy anything, but one art dealer tried really hard to convince us we needed a camera obscura  photograph of the Brooklyn Bridge (I didn't know what that was so I included a link for you to learn yourself smarter) . For $15,000. AH! I just found a picture of the actual picture, or is it a picture of a picture of the actual picture? Are they going to charge me for this? Here is  someone blogging about the artist, that should count for payment.

Ok, so finally to the part about Ella Jenkins. We were walking to a hot dog shop on the corner by Grandpa's condo when this kind lady sitting outside by Starbucks stopped Maddy to talk to her. Ella introduced herself and said that she sang for children. Maddy took to her immediately and I think they are now best buddies. Ella is singing at Ravinia this summer, which is an outdoor concert venue near us. It will be just a few days after her 86th birthday. You go, girlfriend! Check out how cute they are together, they even match. 

1 comment:

Jen Vincent said...

I know you said you met Ella Jenkins, but I guess I didn't realize she just stopped you on the street! That is very cool! Does she live in Chicago? I think the Ravinia for kids would be cool this year!