Tuesday, June 29, 2010

For Jen's Baby

My sweet friend Jen is days away from baby #2, so I thought I needed to make a special blanket for the baby. Jen is going to be surprised by the sex of this baby therefore I had to find some fabric that was gender neutral and was just sweet and fun.



I made this baby quilt from Moda Tweet Tweet fabric. It's the first time I bought fabric in "jelly rolls" and "charm packs." It was great. The charm packs are 5" pre-cut squares and the jelly rolls are 2 1/2" strips. It made the quilt squares go together quickly and easily. Unfortunately, that's where the easy ended. I am horrible with the binding. I can't seem to get it right, and look neat, and not pulling or bunching. I tried, I really did. I ripped out and put back several times. Marc reminded me that imperfections are a sign of it being homemade. Well homemade it certainly is. I backed it with super soft red minky fabric that Maddy loved. I bought extra to make her a little something too.

In the end, even with a weird binding, I love how it turned out. I love the colors and the patterns and I love that it is going to a sweet, brand new baby. I can't wait to meet you, Baby!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Kathy! It's beautiful. You did an amazing job. It will be perfect for a boy or girl. Jen is so lucky. Good job.

Jen Vincent said...

THANK YOU! We love it!!!!!! We were just doing tummy time on it yesterday! The colors and the fabric are great. I love how it coordinates with our living room. :) I think the binding turned out awesome. I have a quilt up in my closet that hasn't been finished yet because I have no idea how to do it and I'm too scared to do it!!!!

Let's have a sewing day? Want to? I don't know what I want to make but I want to make something...or lots of things. LMK! :)