Sunday, July 25, 2010

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Also known as what Marc and I did while Maddy was at Camp CBG for another week.

We tackled our basement.
We have been using shelves left by the previous owner supplemented by an old Ikea bookshelf. The shelves were all about 10" deep, which is just deep enough to hold one thing, not deep enough to hold boxes of stuff.

This is what it looked like before. It looks completely awful in the picture, but I really knew where everything was. It just all sat on the shelf staring at me.


Here it is emptied. We took down the old shelves and reused them over the workbench, and put the Ikea shelf on the curb where it disappeared in less than an hour.

I then rolled up the old insulation and threw it out.



Marc wasn't feeling well for a few days, so I boogied to Home Depot, rented one of their big trucks and came home with a load of fresh drywall. I rocked it.

Marc felt much better and helped me put up fresh insulation and he cut all the drywall and screwed it into place.


By this time Marc was feeling much better and he did the drywall taping and mudding. Now we are sealed up against the cold winter drafts.


Marc took Maddy to the pool on a Friday night while I primed and painted the wall. It's feeling almost done, but there is still a lot of work to do.



We stayed up late the night I painted and put together the shelves. They came from Costco and they were so heavy we had to carry the pieces downstairs one at a time. Luckily they snapped together and were a breeze to put together.


They are so great!

I don't have a finished picture because we are not finished putting the stuff back. I am trying to find ways to organize piles of individual items that do not seem to have any connection. The rest I fit into tubs and bins and it looks great.

How about one big bin labeled Misc'l?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Impressive! Well done. It looks great. You are making such great use of your summer vacation.