

They have all flown in this Ford Tri-Motor plane. This very one. Marc, Maddy and I went out to Aurora today so Marc could go for a ride in the plane. He LOVED it and wanted to go again, the second time he paid a little extra and rode in the co-pilot's seat. Unfortunately the battery on the camera died as the first flight landed (why does that always happen?) and I don't have a picture of him in the co-pilot's seat, you'll have to take my word for it.
As for the other two guys, Johnny Depp and Christian Bale, they were not at the airport in Aurora today (rats), but they filmed scenes for their movie coming out this summer in this very plane. It was repainted for the movie, but keep a look out for it in Public Enemies. Here's a photo of it on the set of Public Enemies.
A little history of the plane, this model plane was one of the first passenger planes, and this actual plane was used to fly passengers in and out of Cuba. It spent time as a barn stormer, a crop duster, it fought forest fires and toured in an air show. In the 80's it was picked up off the ground and flipped over onto it's top during a severe storm and was subsequently sold off. It was bought and restored by the EAA who has it now. It tours around the country to small airports giving flights to its fans. Only 199 planes were built, 18 still exist and only 6 still fly. Pretty cool, eh? In case you are wondering, Maddy and I watched from the ground, thank you very much.
3 comments:
That's so awesome. There is no way I would have been brave enough to fly in one of those. I would have thrown up all over the place! Marc is awesome and I'm sure he loved it. I can't wait to see the movie when it comes out. Seriously Johnny Depp and Christian Bale in the same movie? It really doesn't get better than that.
It wasn't scary. I don't think people realize how hostile today's passenger planes are. There is nothing as gentle as a flight in a propeller plane. I've been in a Cessna, a B-17, and now this Tri-Motor. The plane lifts off the ground at around 70 miles per hour and has a maximum speed of 150 mph, but usually only cruises around 90 mph. I had MORE leg room than I do on a typical passenger plane today, and a terrific view!
Woo hoo!! Tomorrow I get to go see a B-17! (drooling)
Post a Comment