Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Not a Great Week For Me

Do you ever have the kind of week where you think things are going well, but really they are not? This is me this week. Maddy has been in a mood all week. She is see-sawing between a sweet and snuggly angel one minute, the next I'm chasing and shouting after her at the hardware store where she has a box of Junior Mints in each hand and she is running out of the automatic doors (blasted doors!) straight into the parking lot. BAH! I have been feeling like such an ogre!! I am struggling with having Maddy listen to me when I ask her to do (or not do) something. She is just tuning me out. She hears blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. When it is a safety issue, as we had at the hardware store, it freaks me out! I got home, handed her to Marc, who just walked through the door, closed myself in the bathroom and sobbed. After I had Maddy I had serious fears that some horrible accident would happen to her when she was alone with me. I thought I had let it go, that of course I could keep her safe, but now I am going to be freaking out again. I have got to find a way to be firm without yelling, yet forceful enough to get her to stop when it's serious business. Apparently me shouting STOP doesn't work. You should hear the swearing that has come out of me this week, not at Maddy, but under my breath. Ok , a little louder than that a few times. Luckily Maddy didn't pick up on it. Really, it is the public stuff that bugs me the most. At home I put her on the time-out step and everything is fine (for a few minutes at least). In public I just don't know what to do if she won't stop without me shouting at her. Any advice? Please? Help! I need a Supernanny episode where she covers kids misbehaving in public.
This is one of those weeks where I really need my mom.

2 comments:

Marc G. said...

She has been real challenge this week. I think the March of Dimes walk was too much and tired her out as much as staying up until 11 pm on her birthday, and you remember what that week was like.

Plus we are both on edge this week over the emotions rekindled by the walk, so that makes things worse for us. And I'm certain Maddy is picking up on our moodsand temperments.

Hang in there honey. Enjoy your day off today. I love you.

Jen Vincent said...

AH! I feel like I have been a bad friend this week. I have barely been on to comment on your blog! It sounds like you totally had a crazy week! Now it's the weekend though! Let me know if you want to do a late night movie or a Starbucks hangout one night after the kiddos are in bed!