Friday, May 7, 2010

The Princess and the Pea, A Birthday Gift

Maddy is invited to attend a birthday party tomorrow for a little girl in her pre-school class. I thought I would make her a gift. It has been rolling around in my head for awhile, since I saw something similar on another blog. Rats if I can't find that blog now.

Here is our inspiration book. If the pictures look familiar, it is done by Lauren Child the same person who created Charlie and Lola.


Her style uses mixed media, cut paper, cloth, objects. They are all photographed for the book. I love it.

Here is the stack of mattresses with the little green pea peeking out.

The poor girl, she couldn't sleep at all because of the terrible lump in the bed!

Of course it ends with a happily ever after. Isn't this a great picture?
I didn't try to replicate the princess, I didn't even think of trying. I just made a version that would hold up to magical little girl play.


Here is my stack of mattresses with the little green pea peeking out. The pea is my first attempt, well actually my second try on my first attempt, at using wool roving. I bought a small package of green wool roving at the fabric store, ripped off a bunch, soaked it in hot water then rolled it and rolled it until it formed a tight little ball. It's very cool, and good for the arms.


 I made a little pocket for the pea, so hopefully it won't disappear too fast. Proportionally I think the pea is way too big compared to the doll. That would hurt if you slept on it! I know you can't tell the size from the picture, the mattresses turned out to be 8x10", so the doll is around 10" tall.


Here is our sweet princess, awake because of the terrible pea. I found the fuzziest brown yarn for the hair. Maddy keeps petting it. In fact, the doll has been found in her room at least 3 times now. I am going to make her one too, don't worry.

I tried to make her an all fabric outfit, but I failed miserably. I think I made 4 different outfit pieces before I landed with this. I wish the top was a little more fitted and the bottom a little more full, but hey, it's homemade, so it's imperfect. If you make the top with fabric and not fleece or felt you have to finish the edges, and it's not easy sewing a seam on an itty bitty neckline and armholes. How did my mom and grandma make all those tiny Barbie clothes for me?

I added a little storage sack, which looks like a sleeping bag here. That could be the sequel, The Prince, The Princess and The Pea Go Camping.


I think it turned out pretty cute. I hope the birthday girl enjoys it. I sure had fun making it, although my sewing space is a huge disaster. Maybe I'll post of picture of it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jen Vincent said...

What a great idea!!! I love it! I'm excited to make some little lovies, I have a million projects in my head and I have a few other ones that are coming up before my lovies...but I'm more excited for them now. I love the book, too, I haven't seen that version before but I love Lauren Child's artwork.