Do not, I mean never, ever, ever EVER remove the seeds from a jalapeƱo pepper with your bare hands. EVER.
Ever.
I did this Sunday night while making black bean soup. One pepper. My hands have actually been ok, it's just that every piece of skin I touch with my hands starts to burn. I am not sure why my hands do not burn, according to the web sites I have been reading it should be enough pain to send me to the emergency room, so I lucked out there. I can't seem to keep my hands away from my eyes. This is my second day in glasses because the burning pain this morning while trying to put in my contacts brought tears to my eyes. I am not even going to try it tomorrow, I'll just wear the specs one more time and try again on Thursday.
You should have seen me with baking soda paste on my face.
Just for the record, rubbing alcohol seems to help, so does milk. I Googled it. Most people have to try everything until they find something that works.
Now you know. If you ever make this mistake AFTER reading this, I am going to have to laugh at you, behind your back, of course, and not in a mean way, in an I've-been-there-why-didn't-you-listen-to-me way.
2 comments:
Oh man. I learned this lesson the hard way too. I made about 50 jalapeno poppers, all sliced and seeded with my bare hands. My hands were on FIRE for at least 12 hours. And I touched my eyes too. I will NEVER do that again. I now keep food prep gloves in my kitchen and I won't touch a jalapeno without getting all gloved up. I feel your pain, Girlfriend.
Holy cow!!!! We don't really eat jalapeno peppers so I've never had this happen! It doesn't sound like fun! Now that I'm thinking about jalapeno peppers though...when I was in high school I went to Florida on spring break with my friends and we stayed at my friend's grandparents house (kind of random). They made us pizza with pepperoni, jalapeno peppers and mushrooms. It was the most random pizza I had ever had...my family are pretty much cheese and sausage eaters. It sounds kind of good right about now...I wonder if I can get Chad to try it...
Post a Comment