Sunday, March 8, 2009

Made in the USA

I was listening to the radio recently and heard someone talking about a store in Barrington called Norton's USA. We decided it was worthy of a road trip and yesterday went for a visit. It's a store that sells only products made in the USA. Some of them are handcrafted items, such as jewelry and slippers, some are food items like syrup, jams, salsas, and some things are nationally known companies and products that you might not realize still manufacture in the US, like Anchor Hocking. They even have a toy section, which is really cool.

I wouldn't call it a "green" store, although many things are organic, for example they carry Mrs. Meyer's products. I picked up some geranium hand soap. If you ever zip through that area, you should stop in and see it. The gal running the store yesterday was very kind and spent a lot of time chit chatting with us and showing us things. She kept giving Maddy treats, so she obviously has great taste. hehehe.

I also liked the fact that it was in an old barn. You could see from the windows where the horse stalls were once located. Cool. I want an old barn, not a huge one, just one this size. I think next Christmas everyone on my list will get something made in the USA.

1 comment:

Jen Vincent said...

I think it's so important to buy things made in the USA...or local stuff. I found a made in the USA store in Round Lake Beach near my parents house. They had some cool stuff but there really wasn't much at all. I wanted to buy some cool cookie cutters, but they were plastic so my mom talked me out of it.

I can't wait until the Farmer's Markets start up again!