The Rhododendron is the state flower for Washington. We planted this beautiful pink rhodie in the yard two years ago after we stumbled on a rhododendron show at the Chicago Botanic Garden.
We learned the best place in the yard to plant it (north side of the house) and the best soil conditions (lots of sand for drainage in our clay soil). So far, other than a pesky insect attack last year, it looks as though we found a good spot and the rhodie is thriving. In Washington the rhododendrons grow wild in the forests, and you often see them the size of a house. In fact, when people plant them in front of houses they can grow so big they overtake the entire front of the house.
Like my daffodils, my rhododendron reminds me of my mom. She was always planting them in our yard.
2 comments:
Your picture is beautiful.
It's nice to have the reminders of your mom.
Zinnias remind me of my mom. I planted some today!
That is great! How exciting. I love that it's a reminder of your mom for you. I decided to give up on my gardening this year. I may put some flowers in the front...or at least oversee the putting of some flowers in by Chad. :)
Post a Comment