Friday, November 6, 2009

A Gift for our Favorite Story Time Librarian

Maddy has been going to story time at the local public library since she was itty bitty.

Deena is the librarian who runs the story times. Deena is amazing. We love her. Maddy sits with complete, rapt attention when Deena is doing her thing. See, even in this picture when Maddy is barely one she is sitting and paying attention to Deena. Well, the little kid story times ended this week. Maddy has grown out of them! I can't believe it. She can now go to the drop-off story time with the bigger kids. I don't stay with her. Well, I'll be somewhat nearby, but not sitting on the floor with her. We thought we would give Deena a gift to show her how much we appreciate her and all she does for kids. This is what I made:

 
 
It's an apron made from fabric printed with the Brown Bear design by Eric Carle. Do you recognize the animals? So cute.  I love the way the apron turned out. The bodice fabric is a coordinating pattern from the same collection and worked nicely for the top and the ties in the back. I wish I could say this was easey-peasey to sew, but no, I could have used a few more skills. For example, the waistband part cuts off all the animals. A more experienced person would have centered an animal or better yet, made the design at the top of the skirt piece continue onto the waistband. If you take a close look, the waistband is upside down. Well, the animals did face different directions all over the fabric, so hopefully it isn't too noticeable. Hey, I learn something new every day and reflecting on your own work is a great way to learn!


2 comments:

Jen Vincent said...

I love it!!!! It's great! I think I may have an apron pattern. I'll have to get it out. We haven't done our sewing sit-in yet...we'll have to plan that after the craft social. Our babysitter wears aprons, maybe that would be a good gift...
My parents will be out of town for two weeks, maybe we can invade their house??

Unknown said...

Ok seriously coolest gift ever. How perfect for Deena the librarian. Kathy you kill me with your crafty skills. I'm just so impressed, not surprised because you're freakin amazing, but impressed.

I can't believe Maddy is old enough to move on to Story Time with the big kids. I sometimes still think of her as a little bitty girl, like in the top picture. Where does the time go?