Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day

Maddy celebrated Valentine's Day on Friday, since that was the day of her class party. I was one of the moms who volunteered to help out with the party, so I decided to bring the treats.

I made heart shaped, pink Rice Krispie treats. It was the first time I cut out Rice Krispie treats; it was easier to do than I thought it would be. You press the marshmallow mixture onto a cookie sheet and start cutting, and because it's still so soft, you can mush together your scraps and keep cutting. Cool. I found strawberry flavored marshmallows at Target and gave them a little more pink with some food coloring. They were pretty cute.


The kids loved them, and I was worried about them sticking to the inside of the bags, but nope, they didn't at all, and the bags made it easy for some kids to take home any leftover bits. Maddy didn't seem to have any leftovers.


For her Valentines we made these little heart shaped butterflies with pencils. I did the cutting (quickly) and she put them together and decorated them. I gave her lots of stickers and glitter glue and stuff, but she really kept them simple, which surprised me. They turned out very sweet.


For the three teachers we made little Kleenex holders. These are so quick and easy to make, and they're so cute, and useful too! I love keeping one in my purse. If you want a good beginner sewing project, this is the one for you.


No comments: